Subject: Ticket Assigned - The most unethical and fraudulent online platform ever
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 22:24:33 +0000

Hi Hamza Nomani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  The most unethical and fraudulent online platform ever I have oderd a shoe from center-point (styli brand) online portal( waited 6
days to receive the product even though I paied cash advance ) #9401049861
and I recived a damaged product ( which mean no QC) and when I  retired
them the item they told me to Oder new product which will be delived in 24
hrs and then I asked again for the delivery date which they said on the
same day . After much disappointment I asked again beofre ordering the
project they said they will give me in 24 hrs ( assured to me by 3 differnt
people)( when I rasied a complain that why they shipped me damaged goods
they said they’re team from management will call me in 24 hrs which I havnt
got even after 48 hrs) finally after I placed the Oder #5341360 they said
to my face that they won’t be able to deliver that new replacement in 24
hrs I have to wait for 6 more days . The money havnt even been creadited
back to account. The worst coustamer experience that I got . And when I
asked for cancellation they don’t respond to that . And they can’t even
give me correct information about the delivery of the product . It’s like
they need only money not costumer satisfaction. The worst online compnay
that I have purchased ever. And the yas mall branch manager has big meat
attitude … I would suggest to eveyone that never use centerpoint online
portal . Cos they never give correct respond and they don’t care abut the
costumers satisfaction either . They are doing where-house sales in there
online portal during sales

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5346560