Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order Number 1700656112
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 16:58:50 +0000

Hi Hamza Nomani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order Number 1700656112 Dear Support Team,

We have done click and collect on 17/NOV and we got a message on 21/NOV
stating that it was ready for pick up.

We have visited Ruwi outlet on 22/NOV and understand that the order hasn’t
arrived yet.

We have contacted CS team and absolutely no feedback from them. Contacted
CS team several times but the result was same and they said it’s ready at
the outlet.

No one in CS team capable to find out the order and no interest to help the
customer.

We have registered a complaint (5325499)

As per CS team complaint will also checked in 48 hrs, pls note that we have
purchased and wait for more than a week for collection is really pathetic.

We have chosen click and collect to get the items immediately than a
delivery.

Very much disappointed with your service

Hope you will find our order and get back to us soon.

Thank you

Sameera
90125179

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5325887