Subject: Ticket Assigned - Lucky Egypt intro and proposal
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 16:55:17 +0000

Hi Hamza Nomani,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Lucky Egypt intro and proposal Dear Team,

Good Day,

As per my communication with your team over the social media, they sent me
that email to send you a brief about Lucky and how we can cooperate to work
together.

First, I am Farah, senior key account manager for Lucky Egypt,
www.luckyegypt.com, one of the biggest platforms and apps for Cashbacks and
discounts in Egypt.

Our system is mainly working through E-Wallet payments, whereby our
customers enjoy using the app to have their payments covered through their
cashback balance and the money reflected in there E-Wallet.

Kindly find attached our portfolio and a brief about us.

Would be glad if we can have a contact number for the marketing director,
or the one responsible so we can see how we can work together soon.

Waiting for your kind reply,

Thanks
Farah EzzElArab
Senior Key Account Manager
01068248885
Lucky Egypt
www.luckyegypt.com

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2610063