Subject: Ticket Assigned - Waiting for my order
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 04:16:19 +0000

Hi Saeedurrahman Choudhary,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Waiting for my order I am really disappointed with the poor service of your company. I have
placed my order on 9- 1-2021, and till now I haven't rcvd my items. My
order no. 6262497646. I hv already sent a msg earlier too.I placed one more
order

This was the msg I received from you

Hi Rayyan,

Thank you for contacting us.
​
We apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

Please note that it usually takes 4 - 5 working days for an order to get it
delivered at the store and to be ready for the collection.

We see that your order has been delayed, and we are really sorry for the
inconvenience caused to you. We know that you are waiting for your shopping
to arrive soon, and We assure you that our team is working hard to get it
to you as soon as possible.

Please allow us some more time, and we will get back to you as soon as your
order is ready for collection at the store.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Feel free to reach us
out for further assistance.

Your friends,
The Support Team

Waiting for my order. I want it by Today

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2001141