Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint With Reference to Order # 9644500202, Return Request #1000691358
From: Lifestyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 13:36:00 +0000

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint With Reference to Order # 9644500202, Return Request #1000691358 Dear Team Lifestyle,

I am writing this email with utter disappointment due to the inconvenience
we faced in delivery of Subject order (Ref No.9644500202).

My wife was keeping an eye on a specific product,” NYX Professional Makeup
Escape Artist Shadow Palette*”* which contains *40 shades*. She even
subscribed to this product as it was not available online previously. As
soon as she got the confirmation that this product is available, she
immediately ordered the same product. In order to avail free delivery, we
even bought some more stuff to make order more than AED 200.

However, all our excitement went into drain once the product was received,
your team had delivered the wrong product, “EYE shadow pallet with *16
shades instead of 40*”.

We got further disappointed once we found out that there is no option of
asking for the correct product, instead we had only one option to ask for
the refund, which we did through our request, referenced *1000691358.*

Could someone from Lifestyle look into this issue and confirm if we can get
the required product at the same price without paying any extra cost of
delivery?

Your team may contact undersigned for any further correspondence.

Best Regards,

Junaid Abdul Majeed

+971 55 314 3330

+971 56 681 6878

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2318727