Subject: Ticket Assigned - I got the wrong size
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 01:56:39 +0000

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  I got the wrong size Sir,
 I made an online purchase in the application and received the items two
days back. The order number is 6280468586. I ordered 9  Sustainable
Avengers Print T-shirt with Short Sleeves and Crew Neck with various sizes.
I only ordered 1 XL, 6 L, 1 M, 1 S. But the order I received contains 2 XL
and No medium. I bought this Tshirt for a function today and now I am short
with one tshirt. When I called the customer service I didn't get any
support, when I went to the store, they said they can't help me. Is this
the way you treat a customer for a mistake from your end? I have to find
another 9 identical dress for todays function all because you send me the
wrong size. I went to the store and asked if they could replace it to me
with the size but they said they can't. I will be careful next time
ordering from your store.
Now I want to know what i should do with these shirt.
Thank you

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2214385