Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 02:17:00 +0000

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   Contacted
I am sending this email to complain about the poor customer service at
Alhamra mall in Riyadh.
The staff clearly have no concern for customers and do not speak to
customers politely. I am a regular customer and its very disappointing.
In one visit i have 2 incidents. Firstly the cashier does not check that i
have the correct slip and insists i leave the store because of this. My
damaged  purchase made the day before, which i only noticed when i went
home.. Why would i bring the wrong slip to return. On checking she realised
she was wring but no apology just makes me wait for 35 min to exchange one
item. I returned and it was almost salaah and the cashiers had left so the
makeup counter was still cashing for customers but refused to cash for  me
because i had an item of clothing. She chose rather to be rude and not
allow one more loyal customer to pay for her purchase. Clearly there is no
care no respect and no concern for a customer at this store. It is very
annoying as had the first cashier not taken 30.min and wasted my time by
being in the wrong i would not have encountered another issue at this
store. This is not the first time this has occurred at this store. Teach
your staff your customer is always right and if she isnt then teach them
diplomacy. In this case i was clearly not in the wrong.
A very disappointed customer.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2198510