Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint regards delivery staff
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 09:28:34 +0000

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint regards delivery staff To whomsoever it may concern.

I had an order for an item #6287903687  AWB FC0325211000537 which was
expected to be deliver today (on 27-03-2021) from delivery man with
registered number 0503939319.

i had received a whatsapp message from this number at 2.29 pm indicating
that the item is ready for delivery and to share the location. i shared him
the location and requested him to kindly deliver it after 5 pm for which he
said he will deliver it after 8 pm.

Since i had some other commitments i called to the same number at 8.30 pm
to confirm his time of arrival for which his response was very rude. He
said that he cannot tell the time of delivery because he is busy with his
work and when ever he is free he will do it after his work.

I asked him why is he replying so rude and his response was if i can ask
him to bring the item when i am free he can also do it same way . which
means he can deliver it whenever he is free and thre is no need to tell any
time.

Attached is the chat history of whatsapp which will make you understand how
polite my chat was..
His voice call is recorded and will be filed with a complaint unless i get
a fair response from centerpoint team

Thanks and Regards
Billy K josh

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2312498