Subject: Ticket Assigned - Missing delivery on order No. 9642031453
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 07:53:41 +0000

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Missing delivery on order No. 9642031453 Dear Sirs,

I've ordered various things from you in the past couple of weeks including
the following Graco Evo stroller

https://www.babyshopstores.com/ae/en/Baby-and-Moms/Activity-and-Gear/Strollers-and-Prams/Modular-Travel-Systems/BABYSHOP-Graco-Printed-Evo-Travel-System/p/162903842

Before placing the order, i've called your call center 2 times to confirm
and stress on the point that i'm buying this and it'll come with the
Stroller + car seat + carrycot as mentioned in the description and both
times i got the same confirmation

Surprisingly upon delivery , there was no carry cot included and i called
your call center yet again and explained to them and they suggested that i
should take a photos of the items received as you can find attached

So you can find attached photos of the received items (Stroller + car seat)
as well as a photo of my comment upon receiving the item as well as a
screenshot from your website where it mentioned clearly that the item
includes a carry cot

Kindly , send me the carry cot that should be included with the system as
you can see in the below video link from Graco as i was expecting to
receive a full package

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGBLwh1LZ8&t=11s

Awaiting your feedback on when i should be receiving the missing item and
thanking you in advance

Meanwhile, I remain with my Best Regards...
Sherif Daniel

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2287568