Subject: Ticket Assigned - complain
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 02:24:32 +0000

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  complain Dear Sir,

This is regarding a very strong complaint against a delivery person from
landmark who came to deliver Max ordered items. After delivering the items,
he came back asking to open the door as he was willing to collect the
return items.  He kept on knocking the door to open for 30min claiming he
was also assigned to collect return items. He did not have the order number
to collect the returned items. Being skeptical about his character called I
customer care to check if the same delivery person will take the return
items, for which the customer care denied saying return items are collected
by a different team and they registered a complaint against this person.
Today from morning I am getting messages from unknown numbers saying pls
give items which you don't like.

I have the the following numbers and their whatsapp messages. Due to
multiple numbers disturbing, Not sure who is the actual collection person
to collect it.

The following are the numbers
+974-30123436
+974-31196993
+974-77096696

This type of messages coming from multiple numbers in whatsapp is
frustrating and I am going to raise a legal complaint against your
department as your employees are misbehaving and misusing the service.

-- 

*Many Thanks! *
*Dr.Shilu Mathew., M.Tech., Ph.D.*
*“Simplicity of approach is always best.” — Charlie Chaplin*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2257557