Subject: Ticket Assigned - order #6273389861 didn't delivered yet
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 11:53:31 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  order #6273389861 didn't delivered yet Dear support ,

I placed my order on the 15th of Feb and the delivery date was 18th of Feb
and till now i didn't receive the order

from day one (18th of Feb ) i contact the customer service through Chat
with us because i didn't receive the order and they told me that the phone
number was incorrect so i changed it and send it to them to forward it to
the courier but no response from the courier or from the agent to me .

so i chat with them again with another agent and the phone number was also
incorrect due to that the first agent didn't change it

i chatted with several agents for several times with no actions done unless
an email telling me that the number has been changed but no one called me
or delivered the order to me (the complaint number is #2132608 and #2131723)

finally the agent told me that my order will go back to the warehouse and i
should make a new order .. how can this happen i asked daily for my order
and no one do anything for me and now they told me wait and make another
order

i tried to call the post office on 19992 with no answer and also the talk
to us service on 800-111-10CP (800-1111027) also didn't work <800-1111027>

please i want my order to be delivered and i want to know exactly when i
will receive it because i should travel to Egypt and i postpone it until i
get my order

thanks in advance

phone number : 508409594
order number : 6273389861

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2134690