Subject: Ticket Assigned - Re: Trouser torn for the first use
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 08:04:16 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Re: Trouser torn for the first use Dear Splash,

Here is the same story with the second trouser I bought along with this
order. that is also ruptured even before the use as in the below image.
what can Splash excuse this time for giving me damaged trousers. This is
continuous disappointment from Splash. the last time when i asked to
exchange the pants you disagreed, and i am really frustrated and annoyed by
seeing the second pant again damaged, which shows the customer service and
quality of product you supply to customers. I am waiting for a strong
action taken from your side for the money, time and effort lost from my
side by buying your product. Do try to give me a refund for both the pants.
I shall return your bad quality products.

Please find the previous complaint number below.

#1960869

Regards,
Naseef

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 10:29 AM Naseef Abdul Kader <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Dear Splash,
>
> Please note I used the trousers for the first time abs it’s torn. I am
> very unhappy about the product. Please find the order details and kindly do
> the needful, I was noticed it’s being torn in the public and it is very
> shameful for me, and I am really frustrated about the product, so I expect
> a responsible action from your side.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2119871