Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint on centrepoint Oasis Mall - Sharjah employee behaviour
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 11:43:10 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Krishan Singh,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint on centrepoint Oasis Mall - Sharjah employee behaviour Respectful Sir

Good day to you,

On 15/2/2021 my wife and kid visited centrepoint at oasis mall - sharjah
just to purchase a toy, as my kid always prefer centrepoint as the variety
of collections and much more. She went at 10.15pm and selected the toy and
waited for the billing the product and she was standing after a customer
and waited for 15 to 20 mins and later only one filipina lady on cash
counter for entire store , didnt accept my wife to pay after waiting long
time, As my wife said she even have cash to pay for this item and  kid was
requesting to accept for one toy and then last she said the system was
closed and shouted at my wife and making bill for the another customer
before us and she cannot make bill at 10.30pm and closing time was 11.00
pm, and she behave in harsh, rude and disrespectful manner. Is this a way
that an employee from a reputed company attend a customer. seriously we
used to purchase from centrepoint for long time , now due to this worst
,disrespectful behaviour, my kid came out of store with full of tears as he
couldnt get the toy, seriously we dont have mind to enter centrepoint
anymore. I am terribly sorry to taking attention of your time . I want to
inform to management to look in to this aspect.

Now i am only one customer moving out of centrepoint  family , make sure
you are not losing others in the pandemic situation.

Anticipating a proper acknowledgment and reply from the higher officials.

Waiting for reply over the same.

Thanks
Mohamed Burhan
+971-557163017

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2111681