Subject: Ticket Assigned - Exchange or Refund of Defected Baby Sleepsuit
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 05:46:01 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Exchange or Refund of Defected Baby Sleepsuit To Customer service,

I am writing this letter to bring to your notice that I had bought a blue
closed-feet baby sleepsuit from your outlet in Dahran mall on November 20,
2021. It was made of polyester and 3-6 months baby size. The shirt cost me
around 39 Saudi Riyals.
Yesterday, for the first time when I put the sleepsuit on my baby, I
noticed a small stitching defect in the shirt near the back button area
which I had failed to notice earlier. Since your store policy of exchange
is of 14 days and that time limit has gone, I still request you to change/
refund or compensate the money.
As it is a stitching defect, I request you to look into the matter
seriously and either replace the clothing item or refund the amount. I hope
you protect the interest of your loyal customer as your company advertises
so diligently.
I, hereby attach a copy of the bill and pictures of the sleepsuit for your
kind perusal.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards.
Fahad Jamal
Contact# +96654-2809388

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3666656