Subject: Ticket Assigned - ONLINE ORDER - 9515792597
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 04:37:25 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  ONLINE ORDER - 9515792597 Hi,

I placed an order on Babyshop online on 27th October 2021 and my booking
reference is 9515792597
<https://www.babyshopstores.com/ae/en/my-account/order/9515792597?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=internal_partial_cancellation_CREDIT_CARD_AE_en>

This is the first time i'm buying though the online app and I'm completely
disappointed with your unprofessionalism

You have cancelled my part of order and i've received my refund
I was disappointed but atleast I got my money back

My problem is with the pending order
I've been calling your customer service since Dec 2 but no one could assist
and always I'm getting the same response - pending with warehouse

Today we are on 8th Dec and no one knows the exact situation

Please cancel the order and refund my money ASAP as it's a complete waste
of time

Regards,
Patricia

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3569633