Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order #9514241006
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 15:16:56 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order #9514241006 Greetings

Referring Order #9514241006.

I have returned the following items and Currier has collected the items on
1st December 2021. However on 4th December I received two SMS indicating
the return request has been canceled, however the items are with
Centerpoint or Currier. I have also made a call to the call center on 4th
December and they have assured me the issue will be solved soon. May I
request to acknowledge the receipt of the listed items, process the return
and amount being credited to the mode of purchase.

*The items are:*
*1.0 Sustainable Solid Polo T-shirt with Short Sleeves (White, Size L)*

*2.0 Sustainable Textured Polo T-shirt with Short Sleeves (Red, Size L)*

*3.0 Sustainable Textured Polo T-shirt with Short Sleeves (Yellow, Size L)*

*4.0 Printed Palazzo with Elasticised Waistband (Green, Size 8)*

*5.0 2Xtremz Solid Off Shoulder Blouse with Short Sleeves (Black, Size XS)*

*6.0 2Xtremz Solid Off Shoulder Blouse with Short Sleeves (Yellow, Size XS)*

*7.0 Lee Cooper Solid Straight Fit Denim Jeans with Pockets and Button
Closure (Black, Size 26)*

Thank you

Best regards

Paritosh Das
Mob: 00971 50390 6840

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3557522