Subject: Ticket Assigned - Check out following email its might helpful for your online Business
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 07:51:18 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Check out following email its might helpful for your online Business Hello iconicstores.com ,

Hope you are doing well.

My name is Dawn and I’m here today on your mailbox to sell you a service.
Hold on, don't flag me, until you read the next few lines. It’s obviously a
cold pitch and I know you have a website.

I just wanted to know if you are keen on getting a brand new user
experience and design this Christmas. I know this might look very flat. But
I don’t have any intention to give you lectures or demean what you have.  Now
why do you need me?

1- Usually if you are ranking on the first page or are getting a good
volume of traffic, then it’s definite that you are getting close to 4% of
your visitors converted as clients. If not then you need me absolutely.

2- If you are not mobile responsive, mark my words responsive not mobile
friendly. Because devices across the world and searches now read them this
way. If you are bang on with the mobile responsive then you must be getting
60% of clients from Mobile devices. If not then you need me.

3- Majority of websites across the world prefer a better and updated
outlook or a regular update I would say. And if that comes at a really
competitive bid then obviously who wouldn’t want it.

Online marketing ecosystem is rapidly changing and brands are constantly
battling against each other for visitors across multiple platforms. In such
scenarios, getting customers to the website and holding them to make a
purchase has turned out to be a mammoth task. I can help you with any sort
of such task of designing in any major platform or tools, because we are
competent enough. Please reply back for more information on prices and
portfolio with a list of references.

Regards

* Dawn Lopez *

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3498064