Subject: Ticket Assigned - Gift Card Not working
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 04:19:19 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Gift Card Not working Hi
Pls find the attached card which I had bought in Jan 2021, and as per the
card TnCs, it is valid for 12 months since the day of purchase, however,
the card is showing as expired when I tried to use in Sahara Center outlet.

Would like you to please check and rectify the same.

Awaiting your early response.

-- 
Best regards

Shyam Nair

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-mail transmission is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The information
herein may be privileged and/or confidential. If the reader of this E-mail
is not the intended recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or other use of it is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this E-mail in error, please e-mail us immediately at the address shown
above.
Do not print this mail unless it's a necessity.
Save paper Save Earth
Thank you.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3422578