Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return request
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 10:44:08 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return request Dear Team

Please note that this mail is regarding my return request. My order number
is
Order #9510985851 and order placed on 03rd november 2021. I received the
items on 5th November and the same day I requested a return because the
pattern I ordered and delivered is different. I called your customer
service several times for the request to collect it within your promise
period because I am travelling.  Also I explained the same and
sent the images through the chat box. Please note that I am travelling on
12th and the return items are not collected as per your promise that they
will be collected within 5 working days. Please support me in this matter.
I have been your regular online customer for the last 3 years and never
face a problem like this. Please do the needful in this matter.

Thanks and regards
Sethu Lekshmi A S

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3348194