Subject: Ticket Assigned - REFUND for 3 ORDERS
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 10:20:08 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  REFUND for 3 ORDERS Dear Centerpoint Team,
I have returned items from my 3 orders via the delivery guy and with the
method of delivery guy they won't provide any receipt for it. You can check
in the system what items were returned to you. As my call with your
representative, the guy said he can see that I have returned the items but
it got cancelled. He raised a complaint with ref no. 3379796. Please check
it in your system.

I am very much disappointed in your return service as this is time your
team is giving me a hard time. This surely is not a pleasant experience.

I have approx 500/- AED to be refunded and since 6 days I have been
following it with you guys. At the end you cancel my return request for 2
orders??? The delivery guy collected these 2 orders together on 12.NOV.2021
(His no. is 050 136 8297). I suppose all the information is available with
you guys since you are keeping the records.

Please take action on this email ASAP and forward my concern to your
warehouse and refund team.

Regards,
Sameen

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3383991