Subject: Ticket Assigned - !!!
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 03:16:01 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  !!! Centerpoint
Landnmark

Who or what you are!

This is so unprofessional.

I bought an item from centerpoint on Wednesday the 10th of November....

It was supposed to arrive on the 13th!

Yesterday the 12th I was contacted by one of your workers. Renad

She took all my details to deliver the item.

Today another girl called me and asked for the details!!!!!!!

I gave her the same details I gave Renad!

Of course I'm not stupid enough to give out my ID number to anyone till my
package is at the door!

She the second girl, asked for my ID NUMBER telling me she'll drop it off
tomorrow!

Sorry. NO NO NO NO!

I DON'T GIVE OUT PRIVATE INFORMATION.

THERE IS TOO MUCH FRAUD GOING AROUND. HOW CAN I TRUST A STRANGER. OR MY
ITEM GETS LOST IN SHIPMENT AND SHE OR HE LIES ABOUT DELIVERING IT.

I want my shipment tomorrow inshallah.

Your women staff don't even answer when I text them or let people know
about the situation of the shipment.

Honestly in Saudi Arabia my country I've seen so many unprofessional women!

So sad.

I am a working woman who has no time for games.

I follow a schedule.

When I am told my shipment is coming I expect it to come.

This can't happen in Europe or the States. People get sacked for
mishandling their jobs.

Fix this situation.

I've spoken to them with respect and appreciating that they're working
people who might be stressed out. But still no response.

If you can't handle the pressure then don't work!!!

I am a woman who works onsite and at home. I know the pressure of hard
work. But I also respect my clients.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3362035