Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 01:54:36 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   My order ref 9510223120 is provided with partial material. The  order was
for a set of denim dungree with tshirt but  you have provided only the
dungree without tshirt whereas ur product description is very
clearly stating that the item is a set of tshirt and dungree...
Your warehouse is providing only dungree without tshirt. This has happen
twice with me on my ref 9510223120 and . 9509842666.
This is a clear negligent behaviour from your side. Your staff is not
working effectively. Ur inefficient staff has created so much inconvenience
for my twice over the same product.
I want the missing material now. Get it delivered asap to my address. I
need the tshirt. If you cannot provide the complete set then you should not
claim in product description as well.

Being a big business concern you having such issues with your product and
services to cause trouble the customers again again is not acceptable.

Solve my problem at the earliest.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3320430