Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Order no #6361818921/6361828311/6361837659
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 01:49:38 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Order no #6361818921/6361828311/6361837659 Dear Centre point team

Subjected order Booked in your application on 25th night and proceeded the
payment and we choosed to collect from  near by store Alkhobar Saudi
arabia, but unfortunately I received the message that order is cancelled
and it will be refunded saying the reason it is beyond your control which
is totally unacceptable.  I raised the issue with customer care and they
had given reason is ‘the item is out of stock in the wear house’. But if I
check the same item in your application now the stock is available without
discount. So center point is lying with their customer, there is internal
issue, if the order is placed with payment anyhow you should provide to
customer. I spent more than 3 hrs to find this items.

Finally i want my ordered items and I don’t want money to be refunded back,
we spend more than 3 hrs to find this item and wasted our time, if you
fails to provide I will take this into legal.

Regards

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3283527