Subject: Ticket Assigned - Item not delivered
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 05:49:51 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Item not delivered Good morning

My Order number is 1605696630

I placed this order Oct 1st for delivery Oct 2nd

It is now Oct 13th I’ve called the customer Care line 3 times and no one
can tell me when I’ll receive the item.

You have taken the funds and not provided the goods.
I will take my complaint to consumer protection if someone senior does not
contact me today and inform me when I will receive the good I paid for.

I am extremely dissatisfied with your service and if you do not have the
capacity to deliver next day then stop falsely advertising that you can. I
was told by one advisor, we say next day but it can be up to 8 days. This
is very unprofessional.

I hope to hear from you soon

regards

Hayley Sellu

96055264

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3219944