Subject: Ticket Assigned - Damage - Goods - My Order No # 6350804493
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 02:25:45 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Damage - Goods - My Order No # 6350804493 
Greetings ...

Reference to the telephonic conversation, as I was informed that I received
goods with Damage and its shows how irresponsible team of online they
didn't even check the clothes before shipment, why we are using online to
save the time and to have a correct product.

While we opened the cartoon it was with a lot of dust and looks like it's
been years on the shelf. this is the service we are receiving from one of
the well-known brands.

Many people informed us not to order online especially for CenterPoint, I
am a traditional customer of CenterPoint and the services are above
standards, my belief was wrong.

*Kindly return my payment against this Damage T-Shirt *and they are a few
more that are not up to the standards but as we don't have time we are
accepting the other products, next time we have to think twice
before placing an order.

*My Order No # 6350804493*

-- 
Thanks & Best Regards.

Mohammed Mahaboob.

Contact No # +966 50 88 12 714.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3117548