Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:27:24 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint Dear Manager

Here is Yomna Elnawasany and I would like to lodge a complaint regarding
the rude treatment I received by one of your employees today called Mahmoud
who works for max store Smouha Branch in Alexandria city , Egypt.

It occurred approximately at 9:30 PM on Saturday the 21st of August 2021

At the fitting room zone a long queue was waiting instead of the long wait
I asked another female employee  if I take something without trying it
would I be able to have refund for a sale item , she assured YES and called
an employee (Mahmoud ) who talked in a very rude way a kind of objection
that i asked first a low rank employee so i ignored his roughness and i
told him i will check what i want by the cashier thanks.

I kept afterwards looking at the mirror placing the skirt on my waist in
the mirror when suddenly he took one of the skirts i laid over the hangers
going away with it  while calling him to bring it  he said in extremely
rude way using a foul word that I am an idiot and dumb person in Arabic

Full of shock , I hurried to the counter asking to meet a manager
immediately a normal employee not a manager confronted me that he is the
manager and he was just a cashier man and took the employee’s side before
listening to end of the problem  and i figured out all of them are friends
protecting eachother as if it is a local brand store owned by a gang  and
the branch is left alone with a manager to solve the problems  and
surprisingly the employee Mahmoud lied like cowards and didn’t admit that
he said a bad language  and he came with an eye witness from the customers,
a woman with her daughter took the lead to prove his innocence ,
volunteered and interfered in the issue without knowing what Mahmoud did to
me , I fought with the woman terribly to ahit her mouth up sinceshe is not
a part of the problem and the security was helpless , weak and the emplyees
couldn’t control the dramatic scandalous scene .. I called the police to
arrive and take mahmoud to the station

Luckily the police arrived within30 mins

By the closure time of the store and partially the problem is resolved with
the woman officially by the officers but still I need a reply and a
feedback and a quick action against Mahmoud the employee as an apology and
a guarantee that this will never happen again and a brief report from the
manager about the cameras of the store

Mahmoud is a rude employee and doesn’t represent a good image for max as
such a big brand please I am waiting for a serious action to be taken from
Max side to keep the quality and good reputation of this place that i
consider it my favourite

Thank you

Regards

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3016994