Subject: Ticket Assigned - Faulty Order
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:14:21 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Faulty Order Hello,

I ordered the Juniors glider chair with ottoman, it arrived a few days ago
later than it was supposed to and so I was only able to build it today.
However, I’m very disappointed to see it seems to be faulty.

The arm rests do not align with the holes made for the screws to fit. This
is the issue on both sides. Additionally on one side the paint work is
chipped, this was there when I unpacked it. I am hoping this does not mean
the item has been used as display. (Please see photos

I called earlier today and was told to send a picture of this so that it
could be sorted.

Please let me know what can be done. It would be good if someone could come
to build up this section (I have already done the rest). I am annoyed that
my use of the chair has been so delayed from wrong delivery and now this.

Order number: 9684501167

Many thanks,
Aymin

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2990438