Subject: Ticket Assigned - Received wrong dress
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 08:24:21 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Received wrong dress Dear Team,

I had ordered some items on 15 june. One dress was cancelled by baby shop
as there was no stock. So when i received the order i saw there was one
dress which was not ordered by me. So i thought they had kept one dress
instead of the cancelled one. After few days i received the cash back for
the cancelled dress. I was ordering next set of dress after few days and
then i noticed there was one dress which i had ordered along with the
others and i had not received that dress. I just realized they had kept a
wrong dress instead of the one which i ordered. I would like to return the
dress which was kept by mistake and would like to receive the same dress
which i had ordered.

The number of the dress which i ordered and would like to receive is
161108889

Pictures are attached for reference.

Thanks
Divya
055 7364001

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2926533