Subject: Ticket Assigned - Unsafe defected baby cart received
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 06:33:02 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Unsafe defected baby cart received Dear babyshop team,

I am writing this email to complain about the product I have received on
the end of May 2021, Juniors 8 in 1 Activity Learning Cart.

After receiving the product and assembling it, we gave to our baby to play
with, however I was chocked when the wheels get out!!! And after trying to
fix it it seems there is no way to fix it!!
Not only that, when trying to move it, wheels are not even moving!!
In addition, we could have a serious injury to my kid when he was playing
with the flipping parts as his hand was almost stuck inside!!

This is very dangerous for kids, and not safe in any way, am very
dissatisfied and disappointed with this your product, and looking forward
to return it or exchange it on an urgent basis.

I have attached here the photos and video for your information and
necessary action please.

The video will follow in next mail as the capacity is full.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Dana Beidas

-- 
Regards,
Dana Beidas

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2751775