Subject: Ticket Assigned - SPLASH ORDER # 9676559513
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 09:04:44 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  SPLASH ORDER # 9676559513 Hi,

With reference to the above subject, I received my order
yesterday (07.07.2021).
But there is one item missing in my order and no one informed me regarding
this or I didn't receive any email from Splash.

I am very disappointed with this service. This is the first time I am
facing this problem, still I do not have any information when I will
receive my missing item.

No customer care response, no email, no text message, nothing.

Please try to solve this issue as soon as possible and deliver my item by
today.

Your quick response is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Burhanuddin Saifuddin
+971-52-7093919

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2829431