Subject: Ticket Assigned - 8264321983 return pending since 1st June 2021
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 02:07:09 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  8264321983 return pending since 1st June 2021 Dear Team,

Firstly, you removed one T-shirt without informing me and deducted money
from my order.

8246321983 order was delivered partially the same as I requested for return.

I got the message from the center point at the same time stating the
delivery partner will collect the impartial items within 2 to 5 days.

Till today no one came to pick it.

On 20th June 2021 one person by name Mohammed from call center support team
promised me to resolve this issue and he has changed the date from 1st June
to 20th June I don’t know why

If the center point is not interested in taking back the partial items,
kindly credit the amount to my wallet so that I can use it for my near
future orders.

Attached are screen shots for your reference kindly do the needful ASAP as
it is pending from many days

Your cooperation in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Osman

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2749004