Subject: Ticket Assigned - regarding undelivered
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 02:48:57 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  regarding undelivered Dear sir/madam
Good evening,

As a consumer , you promised for the deliver of my goods for the date 10-06
2021 but the today date is 19-06-2021 I didn't receive my order yet . I am
calling several times to your team members but I am not getting any
response.

If you have any issue related my order please update

Please do the needful and delivery my goods as soon as possible. my order
number.9668402278

*Thanks Regards*

*Md.Azizul S HoquePosition Kitchen SupervisorP.O.Box 29735*
*Hospitality Group of Companies*

*Mob.no:+971-563713779*

*e-mail: azizulhospitality54 <[email-masked]>@gmail.com
<[email-masked]>e-mail: [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*

 *“Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles ☺, not
tears.” *

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2736323