Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order cancelation (order no:9667778121)
From: Lifestyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:28:16 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order cancelation (order no:9667778121) Contacte

Dear team,

I would like to cancel the order which was made on 07. 06.2021  Order
Number 9667778121.

Your inability to complete the order on time has left no choice but to
cancel the order.

This is the second time someone of your delivery service is sending me a
message and asking for the location. And after sending all the details no
one came to me, when I call the delivery service they are telling me like
they already left the place and someone else is coming.This is happening
for the second time as I mentioned above .

The delivery service is not at all satisfactory and no one will be
interested to purchase, if it is unable to provide the delivery on time.

So I request you to kindly treat this order as canceled and iam not at all
interested in placing this order again.

Best regards
Greeshma Derin

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2699443