Subject: Ticket Assigned - My order for delivery
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 08:09:35 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  My order for delivery Good evening!

I just want to raise my concern. The delivery man message me around 4
o’clock this afternoon telling that he will deliver  my orders. I replied
to him that I am not home for important event.. It was a short notice.
Atleast inform ahead of time so I can set mu schedule accordingly! It is
not that you will deliver anytime without informing ahead of time. And I
told him I will be home around  8 o’clock in the evening. And he told me
call if I need my order I should call  the customer service! My point is…
why he said if “I need my order!” Of course I ordered them means I need
them! And I already told him that I will be home  in the evening!

That is unreasonable that you will just inform me  moment you deliver the
items!

Kindly attend this matter!
I will be home tomorrow until 6 pm.

Thank you and God bless!
Please see attached screen shot of driver’s message,

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2671056