Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complain about recent order
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2021 03:26:18 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complain about recent order Hello,

I recently ordered four products from your website. I thoroughly fulfilled
every section required to made an order. However, the delivery person
contacted me via WhatsApp for location, despite of providing it on the
website.

For his convenience  I sent my real time location using google maps. But he
kept sending me voice messages. Now I do not know or understand the Arabic
language well. I had to wait until I could find someone to decipher what he
had been saying. And then what I gathered was, he wants me to pick up my
parcel from Dammam. I am staying in Al Faisaliyah, nairyah. I told him this
and asked him to deliver my parcel here, to which he replied with “laughing
emojis”.

This has been extremely unprofessional. I didn’t expect this ridiculous
service from such a renowned brand. I would absolutely never recommend
anyone shopping from the Splash website, especially to international
residents. I hope you would look into the matter and put efforts into
providing better service.

Regards
Sanji Azad.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2667419