Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order number: 8264030411 & 8264035160
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 05:40:50 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order number: 8264030411 & 8264035160 Dear Sir/Madam,
This is my 6th e-mail. I have sent emails several times. The  last was
yesterday explaining that I need my money back as soon as possible.
the amount is 64.160 kuwaiti dinar as it was deducted twice from my bank
last tuesday & in both cases the  processes were not successful.
I checked my bank & they said  the money reached centerpoint account
already. So its now in company's account & it is not blocked by my bank ( I
already double checked by going to my bank & investigating about this point)
I already provide you with a bank statement showing everything: Date,
process number , amount deducted & the side received (centerpoint &
landmark).
Please consider that I cannot wait any longer .
Note: if you keep on procrastinating the money return by not answering or
asking for more numbers. I am really  going to take formal legal  steps
toward the company as you have no excuses.
Here you can find the deducted amount highlighted in orange. You already
have order numbers and a bank statement showing in detail where the money
reached & the amount stumped by my bank.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2647615