Subject: Ticket Assigned - wrong item delivered
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 12:21:52 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  wrong item delivered to the concerned,

I have ordered a shirt along with some other items with order number*
9654422194* on 23/04/2021 and I received the items well except the shirt,
instead of my ordered shirt ,they send me a shirt as shown in the attached
picture with number *9656183830* ,same day I sent an email and you replied
with an apology.I returned the item and again I ordered the shirt with
order number *9656183830* as in the attached picture with number
9654422194,but unfortunately again they delivered a shirt with the design
as in the picture with number 9656183830.
I can not use that shirt as I have a shirt with same design, if the
particular item is not available ,it should not be available for purchase
or send the customer with other design,
Please do the needful to get the exact design which I am looking for

with regards
Haris
0558043832

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2500992