Subject: Ticket Assigned - COMPLAINT - Order #9646001659
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 02:20:04 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  COMPLAINT - Order #9646001659 Order #9646001659

I placed a return request for the above order.

My order amount was AED 484. I placed the order from the Max app and
received 20% discount from the app of AED 96.80. So totally *I PAID AED
387.20*

After receiving the order, I kept only one item "Solid Slip-On Slides" for
AED 35, which was* AED 28 *after the 20% discount.

So in total, my refund should be = 387.20 - 28 = *AED 359.20*

However, *I received only AED 320 in refund* to my credit card. I checked
with Max customer care and they said it was because one item (Maternity
Floral Printed Top with V-neck and Flounce Sleeves
<https://www.maxfashion.com/ae/en/Women/Clothing/Maternity/Tops-and-T-shirts/MAX-Maternity-Floral-Printed-Top-with-V-neck-and-Flounce-Sleeves/p/162477869>)
was still under process, and that I will get the remaining amount as soon
as the processing is over. But it has been more than 2 weeks since then,
and I have not received the remaining amount. I checked with Max today, and
they are saying it is because I used some voucher which is not correct.

*PLEASE REFUND MY REMAINING AED 39.20 ASAP. *

Best Regards,
Zeba Bashir

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2424088