Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Complaint - Babyshop online order # 9638965769
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 10:22:06 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Complaint - Babyshop online order # 9638965769 ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Marwan Agamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 1:48 PM
Subject: Complaint - Babyshop online order # 9638965769
To: <[email-masked]>

Dear Babyshop Support Team:

With reference to subject order no. This is to complaint against the item
received  'Mustela Cradle Cap Cream' on 02/03/2021 with expiry date 03/2021
as attached.

Primarily, As you are aware this product is used for babies and selling it
with an expired date is against safety standards in UAE.

I already placed a complaint with DED and request you to compensate for
this mistake from your side by sending a replacement with the same product
but valid. since it is not my fault, please send the replacement product to
my home address while sending your agent to collect the expired one.

waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Marwan Ahmed
Mobile: 0563784078

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2188592