Subject: Ticket Assigned - Your translation partner
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 02:20:41 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Your translation partner Dear Partner,

My name is Landy, and I work as an Account Manager at Mars Translation, a
translation company with 20 years of experience.

I apologize for the blunt nature of my email, but I sincerely hope you can
find it helpful or worth saving for future reference.

Following are the services we offer:

1. Language Translation (Most languages in the world)

2. Localization (Software / Website / Mobile APP)

3. Interpretation

4. Transcription

5. Voiceover and Dubbing

6. Subtitling

Please feel free to contact me if you do need a reliable partner for
translation/localization service. Our customer service is available 24/7,
and we are ready to fulfill your needs anytime. Free sample within 300
words is also welcomed to test our quality.

It would be great if you can refer us to your colleague who is responsible
for this.

Forgive me if there is any disturbance and thank you very much!

*Landy Lin* | Account Manager |

Email: [email-masked] |Skype: live:cb5de57e968ca5d2

*EN ISO 17100:2015, EN 15038:2006 Certified*

ISO 9001:2008 Certified Language and IT Services provider

*For every hour we work, 1 CNY will be donated to help poor Children get
education they can’t afford.*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2264893