Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order no: 9633764523.
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 03:16:15 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order no: 9633764523. Contacted

Dear Team,

I have placed an order online from 06-Feb but have got it until now. I have
made several follow ups about the delivery of my itemz from your customer
service number and to my surprise this morning i have found out that my
order was cancelled.

The courier who was handling my shipment called me last Saturday, 13-Feb
telling me that they will deliver the items but I was not there. He even
wanted to leave my parcel outside the door which is totally unacceptable.
After that I never received a call again from them.

I would appreciate if you can deliver my order right away and that you deal
with a better courier company who can do the job properly. I've never
placed an order online that took so much time for the delivery knowing how
tough the competition is at the moment with so many online shops in the
market.

I would appreciate getting your feedback within today.

Aissa
0523597929

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2113532