Subject: Ticket Assigned - Appreciation
From: Babyshop <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 03:55:28 +0000

Hi Prince Malik,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Appreciation Dear Team,

I would share a feed back for the below mentioned staff who works in BABY
SHOP CENTER POINT BURJUMAN.

Name: Mr. Dennis.

From the time I had entered baby shop to the time I left the shop the staff
name Dennis was so helpful and really polite with me and my wife. His
product knowledge is really up to the mark and he really know everything in
baby shop what ever you ask him. My wife and me are so happy that we were
attended by Dennis and he helped us make the right decision in choosing a
stroller for my baby girl.  We really driver him mad and I told him sorry
for that as well. But at the end I told him he has really good patience
with the customer and had A class customer service and also provided A
class service to my wife and me while choosing the stroller for my baby
girl. He was smiling, very helpful answered all our questions at the same
time he was acknowledging other customer and attending them. What a sport
men ship a true player at his work. I hope this positive feed back is share
to the staff and I hope other staff learn from him at the same time. I will
definitely be back to shop at BABY SHOP CENTER POINT BURJUMAN and will like
to be attended by Mr. Dennis once again who has given us a wonderful A
class service that was never expected by us. I hope and I request the
management to ease share this email. With the staff. And show the awareness
to all who work out there.

Thank you Dennis for the wonderful experience.

Kind Regards,
Melroy Moniz.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2003872