Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order number 9572250221
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 03:57:51 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order number 9572250221 Dear centerpoint,

I’m very disappointed with your response and service regarding my order
which was supposed to be delivered on 01 of June, still I haven’t
received it and I contacted you on your WhatsApp still no response ur agent
said I’ll receive a call but I didn’t.

I received this sms below ? on Friday 03 of June 2022

Hi, we missed you! We were unable to deliver your order 9572250221 on
2022-06-02 21:28:01, reason: Future Date Delivery. We'll make another
delivery attempt soon. Click to give feedback
https://tracking.fareye.co/tracking?Z7hpim50JKwnymwb4KawMgwAzhTd6H6PnWap24l4WvE=#/
Stay Happy!

What’s happening????

Kindly reply me

Regards
Madiha ali

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4451362