Subject: Ticket Assigned - COMPLAINT FOR URGENT ACTION
From: Home Box <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 05:07:04 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  COMPLAINT FOR URGENT ACTION Dear Home Box Stores,

I'm writing to you regarding orders 29002103619820220319 and
29002102667420220319 that I have been informed had been placed on March
19th in person at Oasis Center, Sheikh Zayed Road.

The orders have included a set of items including a bedroom set with a
sofa, mattress, cable etc.

I have received messages on my phone number (052 880 5227) that this order
has been placed under my name (Lynn Itani) and for the address (Dubai Creek
Home, Barsha Heights, Apartment 306, Building Arts Heights).

*I am sending this email to strictly confirm and verify the following:*

1-I had not placed this order in person and I had not been in that location
at that time. Hence, I had not bought these items and this is an identity
forge.

2-This is not my current or future house address and I have never been to
this apartment before.

3-The alternate phone number provided (058 698 1699) is NOT my phone
number. I have just called this lady and her name is registered as Lynn
Itani on WhatsApp however *THIS IS NOT ME!*

I am requesting to please cancel the delivery of these items to this
address under immediate effect since these two orders have been placed
without an Emirates ID verification.

Please use this email to verify that the alternate phone number provided
(058 698 1699) is NOT my own alternate phone number. If you call this lady
and talk to her and then talk to myself *then she is not going to sound
like the same person. *

For legal purposes, *please cancel this request* since there was no
Emirates ID verification.

There is a chance I might launch a police investigation about the identity
of this woman "Lynn Itani" who is placing these orders using my name and
phone number to a house address in a suspicious area with illegal activity
(Tecom).

Please let me know if you have any concerns and you can call me on the
primary phone number 052 880 5227 ONLY in case of any questions. Thank you.

Regards, Lynn

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4062991