Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order Inquiry
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 09:05:51 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order Inquiry Dear Centrepoint,

Reference to the attached pictures and call to customer service, we would
like to check the status of this order.

This was done yesterday 30th Jan via 33961052 and despite the error that
showed online, the amount was still deducted to our Bank and we have already
called our bank and checked our statement and we didn't receive any reversal
for this transaction. Hence, we would like to push for this order to be
confirmed from your end and provide us an Order number and pick-up schedule
accordingly.

Your immediate attention is highly appreciated. Thank you.

 

Kind regards,

 

Markhiya Clinic

380 Al-Markhiya Street

Tel:   +974 4466 1318 / Email:    <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked] 

Waab Clinic

699 Al-Waab Street

Tel:   +974 4435 0340 / Email:    <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked] 

Web:    <http://www.theipcentre.com/> www.theipcentre.com 

 

The International Medical Centre

14 Sahat Street

Tel: :   +974 4488 4292/ Email:    <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]

Web:   <http://www.theimcentre.com> www.theimcentre.com

 

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3832877