Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint Against MAX Online Kuwait
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 02:57:54 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint Against MAX Online Kuwait My complain is for Max kuwait

I had canceled an order on the 30th of December. Till today the amount has
not come back to my account. Every time I call your Call Center they say
that they have transferred and wait for 14 days. Now it has almost been a
month. When I ask them to give me the reference number so that I can check
with my bank, the call center always keep saying that I will receive an
email. But nothing recv till date...

I am a loyal customer and always purchase from Max. But this is the first
time I am not being treated properly and I am very frustrated. Your Call
Center people always keep assuring and giving false promises. If this is
the case then how come a big company like yours doesn't have proper
customer service..!!??

I hope someone here is listening here..!!

Ticket No : 3779643

Complainant,

Abbas
Mobile : +965- 60775920
Kuwait

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3814541