Subject: Ticket Assigned - Refund not received yet
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 07:54:11 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Refund not received yet Dear Centrepoint,

In reference to Order number 9516923548, please find attached return that
was requested.

The items were collected from my home on 13-December.

However until today I have not received any refund.

On same day, another item from order number 9518423225 was also collected
and I received refund for it on 17-Dec.

If all items were collected together then where is my refund for order num
9516923548?

I have been following up with your team via what's app several times and
all they say is matter has been escalated.

This is very bad experience I had with you guys and makes me think twice to
order through you again. Extremely frustrating experience.

If I do not get my refund within next 3 days I will raise this matter with
Dubai consumer affairs.

Please be reminded that I have been a very loyal and regular customer of
centrepoint and this time you guys have let me down.

Regards,
Samreen

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3668117