Subject: Ticket Assigned - Very bad impact about return process
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 11:16:25 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Very bad impact about return process Dear Support Team,

I got a very bad impact about returning process and progress in centrepoint
stores. As I have handled the returned order to you corrier on October 11th
2021 and till now I did not got my refund amount back to my Mada account,
also opened two complaint tickets with the customer service department to
speed up the process and check why it takes so long. Here below you can
find all the data about the order:
1- Order Number: 6358565695
2- Ordered By: Omar Anwar
3- e-mail Address: [email-masked]
4- First Ticket Number: 3297754
5- Second Ticket Number: 3311968

I hope to get your support and feedback soon.

Thanks and Best Regards

Omar Anwar

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3312037