Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complain
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 05:42:59 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complain Hello,
I order The attached item with order id: 6312994355. I received it one
month ago and i called customer services and told them that i need some
employee come to my home to setup and collect the item because it was too
many small pieces.

An employee came after two weeks and collect all the parts and we
discovered a defect in the item. "Vibration doesn't work with Electricity.
Only works with batteries".

Then That employee called his manager to tell him about this problem. And
after finishing the call he told me that two days and someone will come to
replace this item.

I called him many times that no one come and he always saying that someone
will come to me. Today i called him and he asked me to use "Refund or
Replace" function from application. But i can not do that because the order
from one month ago, So there is no availability for refund option from the
application.

Please i need your help. To solve my problem or replace that item. I didn't
use it even for one time!

Employee that came to me Number: 00966564897659.
My mobile: 00966550083138

Thanks in advance,
Abdalrahman Tarek.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2831127