Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint on Order # 6317956546
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 04:37:45 +0000

Hi Ahmed Omer,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint on Order # 6317956546 I Will not suggest anyoneto shop from centerpoint never ever...
I orderer shoes paid online order was confirmed and after waiting for 5
days and several follow up on helipline. Later centerpoint cancelled my
order and my amount was refunded to my account. I waited for 5 days and
this is what i got from centerpoint.. why it was cancelled when it says
shipped in the app. And i also had a tracking number delivery associate
called me and said he will bring it next day i also have his mobile number
you can trace.. what drama was this from centerpoint i dont no.
If centerpoint didnt want to deliver my order why they did not inform me
before so that i can purchase it from other shop instead of waiting an
calling help line again and again to check on my order
I am attaching screen short for reference.
 This is my complaint number (2724081) that was registered by calling your
help line, and the agent said that they have forwarded an email to concern
department to make the delivery process quick. You can also listen the
recorded call conversation between me and the agent.
I dont need apologised email reply from you, i need a compensation for my
time wasted and my feelings were hurt because of your below standard
service.
Or i will take this issue to consumer court or ministry of commerce.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2743243